Located between the Quirinal area and what in Roman times were the wonderful Horti Sallustiani, it is one of the most beautiful squares in Rome. Its urbanization began in 1500 with Pope Urban VIII Barberini, who started the construction of roads and palaces. The square is a fundamental junction for the center of Rome and stands in a strategic point, joining the Quirinale, via del Tritone, via Sistina and via Vittorio Veneto.
Its urbanization also included the construction of the splendid Fontana del Tritone (ID 22), Bernini's masterpiece of 1643, dedicated to the mythological figure linked to water, which by blowing into a shell was able to create storms or calm the waters.
At the edge of the square, at the crossroads with via Veneto, there is also the Fontana delle Api (ID 33), created by Bernini, in the shape of a shell decorated with three bees from which water flows.